Having grown up in Morton Ill., Jim returned to the area after completing his education at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. He joined his father and brother in the practice of law at Benckendorf & Benckendorf, P.C., in 1988.
Jim's practice involves complex estate and tax planning, trusts, and probate, as well as the formation and representation of corporations and LLCs and the drafting of employment, non-compete, and other business-related documents. He also has represented parties in numerous transfers of a business, 1031 exchanges throughout central Illinois, in both commercial and residential real estate transactions, including representing parties before units of local government for rezoning, variances, and similar changes.
Jim is married to Jayne, with whom he has two sons. He is an active member of the Morton United Methodist Church, and his hobbies include home remodeling and hunting with his boys.
Areas Of Practice
- Real Property - Commercial & Residential
- Corporate, Business, & LLC
- Estates & Probate
- Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning
- Illinois, 1988
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1988
- U.S. Tax Court, 1988
- Northern Illinois University College of Law, DeKalb, Illinois
- J.D. - 1987
- Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois
- Major: History
- Heart Technologies, Inc.
- Morton Community Bank
- Morton United Methodist Church
- Wm. Aupperle & Sons, Inc.
- Wills and Estate Planning, 1991 to Present
- Residential Real Estate, 1997 to Present
- Elder Law, 1991 to Present
Honors and Awards
- Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Morton Community Foundation, President, 2016 to 2017
- Morton Community Foundation, Trustee, 2005 to 2011
- Morton Community Foundation, Trustee, 2015 to 2018
- Distinguished Service Award recipient - Morton Chamber of Commerce, 2014
- Morton Economic Development Council, Founding President, 2007 - 2010; Board Member, 2007 - 2018
- Morton Chamber of Commerce, Board Member and Officer, 2006 to 2012
- Morton United Methodist Church, multiple committees
- Morton Chamber Leadership Academy Instructor
- We Care, Inc., Board Member, 1988 to 1996
- Morton Youth Center, Inc., Board Member, 1999
- Morton Task Force, 1999
- Morton Jaycees, Former President, Vice President & Treasurer, 1987 to 1999
- Peoria County Bar Association, Member, 1988 to Present
- United Methodist Foundation, 2018 to Present